Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Dragon Age II Preconceptions


I've played the first Dragon Age on the pc the whole way through, and experimented with all the possible class and race combinations. I really liked Dragon Age Origins- it had a rich plot, as well as loads of quests and dialogue. I liked that you could make so many different choices- both in dialogue and in plot- that actually had an effect, and made it so that you could replay the game over and over, picking different choices to change how the game progressed. And part of that replayability and depth came from the fact that you could pick different races and classes, with different origin stories, and people throughout the whole game would react to you differently based on your race and class.

A lot of gamers who liked Dragon Age Origins say they dislike Dragon Age II, or say that the game is ruined by certain decisions made by Bioware. Changes such as the fact that you can only play a human named Hawk- a decision which, though having obvious detriments, does have advantages. Dragon Age Origins had no player voice acting, because they would need so many different voices, and everybody thought of their player in a different way. In Dragon Age II, everyone plays essentially the same character, so voice acting was a feasible option.Voice acting can make your character seem more real, and

There are other reasons why fans of the first game don't like the second as much, but I won't go into all of them. While the sequel to Dragon Age Origins may not be as good as its predecessor, I don't want to let feelings of that color my reactions to the game before I give it a fair crack. I'll try to finish a review within a couple days. In the meantime, I'm posting a new poll asking how you all feel about Dragon Age.

13 comments:

  1. I feel like story was a little bit less generic, but lack of overhead view and resulting from that horrible controls just made it so painful to play...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will submit a review once I get a comp that can run it :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. yea i didnt feel the same as before

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never played this game, but it sounds kinda interesting. I may just have to give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may play it, looks fun according to your post

    ReplyDelete
  6. it could never live up to the original

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ill give this a try, was never a fan of games like these, oblivion and fable etc..

    ReplyDelete
  8. My friend play Dragon Age II - I don't find it amusing though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool, i think i'll put this on my gamefly queue!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this game looking great, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hm i think i may have to try this out due to your review

    ReplyDelete